Sunday, March 12, 2017

Cubist Drawing

Here is a cubist-inspired piece that I've been working on for a drawing and composition class. The idea was to look at a still life and take inspiration from the shapes without actually depicting the object - in this case, a toy violin. We were also instructed to use value (light and dark) changes to make shapes recede or come forward.

It was a useful exercise to practice making three-dimensional shapes, and also create a composition without a clear focus. I think that I tried to play with perspective too much in areas, and ended up kind of painting myself in a corner in a few places where the lighting - which intentionally has no clear direction - and perspective ended up fighting each other and leaving certain areas flat and unactivated. Overall I am pretty pleased with it, though.


No comments:

Post a Comment