Sunday, October 4, 2015

Con-Volution 2015

Here are a few of the pieces I showed at the 2015 Con-Volution gallery. The con was a lot of fun and I met some very talented artists while I was there!

Here is a detail from an 8-inch by 8-inch scratchboard I did. I'm finding that photographing scratchboards is pretty challenging as any tiny bit of lint, fuzz, or cat fur shows up in stark contrast to the black ink, plus the sealant which gives such a nice semi-gloss surface when viewed in person becomes annoyingly shiny when put under camera lights. Once I work out the kinks I will post some larger photos of the three scratchboards I completed for the show.

All in all though I am quite happy with how this one turned out. There are a variety of textures - metal, plastic, fabric, fur - that look pretty convincing to me, and I like the three-dimensional feel of the stitching and rivets (the cast shadows were made with a Pigma pen).

Johnny 5 here turned out fairly well, too. He's supposed to be bursting through the door, The Shining style.
Heeeeeeeeere's Johnny

This last one was a little 2.5-inch by 3.5-inch card that I did in 30 minutes or so for a Artist Trading Card (ATC) free raffle. A fellow cat-lover won it so she found a good home. One of the many benefits of attending Con-Volution!

On the topic of Con-Volution, there were a lot of fascinating panels this year, including a scholarly talk on the history of new wave science-fiction, practical stuff like how to use social media to market your creative endeavors, and weird stuff like... well you probably had to be there, but there was a game where ten panelists had to describe how they would murder each other, with the most creative and funny respondents advancing to the next round.

Fun stuff! Looking forward to next year.

Oh, and if you're at all interested in having a pet portrait done, please drop me an email! mamarchol at comcast.net, or you can follow the email link in my profile.

No comments:

Post a Comment